Hi. My name is Chris. Welcome to my niche on the Web.
As you may have noticed, I’m a writer. A writer of psychological and paranormal horror, to be exact. My résumé of another life mentions two university degrees and years of experience as a business consultant, but eventually the cries of the monsters under my bed grew too loud to ignore.
Where I come from
Growing up, I had nightmares that no one else saw or acknowledged. I was taught, like so many children, to stay away from the darkness within, because “there be dragons”. Except I was already in over my head.
So not only did I learn to fear and despise the darkness, I also learned to fear and despise myself. To this day, the scars this left on me are still visible.
After years of writing my way through the dark, I finally learned to embrace it instead and make friends with the dragons.
So I left corporate life behind to devote my time to my love for horror, history, psychology, occultism, and storytelling.
What you can expect
On this blog, I write about:
- ghosts, ghouls, and things that go bump inside our mind. Some of them first-hand experiences;
- ancient places, forgotten history, and the incongruous twists in humanity’s memory;
- psychology by observation, laying bear the mechanics of human behaviour;
- and on occasion I disgress and disect the cogwheels of storytelling.
And of course I will post updates about my stories and new publications.
Where to start
Blogs are mazes, especially when you are new to them. Here are a few links to help you find your way:
- Hunting for ghosts and other creeps? Start here, in your own house.
- Interested in matters of the mind? Here are the blog posts on every-day psychology and human behaviour.
- For a brief pang of emotion, try the Soulless Cries: an ongoing collection of painful poems in freeform.
And finally there is The Kalbrandt Café, the free members-only area where I post the stories and previews that aren’t made public.
Stay in touch